Jewish events in the Netherlands for people who want to build community through discussion, study, ritual, and gezelligheid.
At each Oy Vey Shabbat, we read the lyrics to Book of Our Names by Ezra Furman, which begins:
I want there to be a book of our names
None of them missing, none quite the same
None of us ashes, all of us flames
And I want us to read it aloud…
Poetry speaks for us when we don’t have words, when there is no comfort, and the world seems broken. It tells us that we are not alone in our grieving, anger, and fear. Maybe that’s not a comfort, but instead a recognition. Sometimes that’s all there is: a recognition that we feel pain and that others do as well.
We may not be able to offer solutions, but we can come together to grieve, to talk, to share Shabbat dinner, and to study together.
In This Newsletter
Let’s Study and Discuss Together
Friend of Oy Vey, Rabbi Jeremy Borovitz, loves to say that everything is Torah. That song you love that seems to touch your soul? Torah. A Pokémon card that reminds you of your best friend? Torah. Giving ourselves room for our uncertainty, struggle, and turmoil? That’s also Torah.
“When we study Torah, we increase peace in the world,” Jeremy writes.
Let it be so.
Over the coming months we have plenty of opportunities for study together. We hope to see you there!
Oy Vey Reads
We are inaugurating our first session of Oy Vey Reads with Nina Siegal’s book, The Diary Keepers, which is also available in Dutch. Bring your questions and insights with you for the discussion. And join us for a book-club-like conversation with the author!
We have the Deviant Yeshiva, which kicked off this past week with face-to-face sessions in The Hague and Amsterdam, as well as online.
You are welcome to sign up for upcoming sessions even if you missed the first.
Het Joods Manifest
For over a year, we have been talking to Jews in the Netherlands about their hopes, dreams, and fears. Your voice is really important to this discussion. Please make sure that it is heard. Check out the website for more information.
Our discussions for the Jewish Manifesto are coming to an end. We have two discussions in November & two more that will be announced soon!
NL: Doe Mee
EN: Join Us
Shabbat, Havdalah, Chanukah
You can find out what’s coming up in the coming weeks online.
- Join a Shabbat Dinner on 17 November
- Havdalah Meditation on 18 November
- It’s not too early to think about Chanoeka! Sign up to make your own menorah/channukiah with the ceramic artist Kesem Yahav.
- Speaking of Chanoeka, the details of our yearly Chanoeka event will be announced soon. Want to volunteer to make the event a success? Leave your details here and we will be in touch.
Become an Oy Vey Buddy
We know that a lot of people in our community feel like they need to connect with other Jewish people at this time. We created a buddy system to match people up for whatever kind of support they need: a meal together, a walk in the park, a good chat. If you need a bit of extra support, fill out this form: https://wkf.ms/46tXLLx
Call for a Cease Fire
We are about 120 signatures short of our goal for our petition for a cease fire which calls for:
- An immediate ceasefire
- Immediate release of all hostages in the Gaza Strip
- Access for humanitarian aid to Gaza
- International support for a plan for lasting peace through diplomacy
- Prevention of anti-semitism and islamophobia through education and dialogue aimed at all levels of Dutch society.
- Een onmiddellijk staakt-het-vuren
- Onmiddellijke vrijlating van alle gegijzelden in de Gazastrook
- Toelaten van humanitaire hulp in Gaza
- Internationale steun voor een duurzaam vredesplan door middel van diplomatie
- Voorkomen van moslimhaat en antisemitisme door voorlichting, onderwijs en dialoog gericht op alle lagen van de Nederlandse samenleving.
Please consider signing and sharing:
From Our Members
27 October: Kabbalat Shabbat with Ruach Shalom
27 oktober 2023 19:30 – 21:00
Once a month, Ruach Shalom hosts a hybrid Kabbalat Shabbat online and face-to-face. To join this event please fill in your details at: https://bit.ly/ruachshalomnl
We want to hear from you!
If you have a recipe to share, an event to highlight, or something you’d like the Oy Vey community to know about, please send us an email! It’s easy! Just hit reply to this email or click here to use our handy form.
In peace, love, and understanding,
The Oy Vey Team
P.S. We need your help to make Oy Vey a self-sustaining organization. Please consider making a contribution.